Be You! Spring 2022 Recital
Finally, in May 2022, we return to live and in-person performances! This will be our first live and in-person show since November of 2019. A limited audience of 50 people will cheer on 14 enthusiastic performers with special guests, Jon Oace, Jay Harris, and Cary Buchanan. Watch for the recorded videos and photos to be added after the May 22 show.
Live Times Five! Fall 2021 Recitals
Both recitals in 2020 and the Spring Recital of this year were composed of pre-recorded student performances that were stitched together by me in a digital recording and film studio. Now, here it is November and December of 2021 and we’re still not quite ready for a large group of people in a concert hall. So we are doing the next best thing; live-streaming from my studio with a small group of performers.
To accommodate the seventeen students who have prepared solos this Fall, I’ve grouped them into small clusters of 2-4 students at a time. Over five Sundays: Nov 7, Nov 14, Nov 21, Dec 5, and Dec 12; we are live-streaming performances from my studio in Southeast Portland to the world. If you want to tune in to the live performances, contact me for the unlisted link. View the recorded performances and photos here, Live Times Five!
BIPOC Rock! Spring 2021 Recital
On April 11, 2021, I streamed videos of 17 students performing music by composers who are Black, Indigenous, People of Color. The composers lived in every century from the 1700s to today. They hail from Ghana, West Africa, New Granada, England, and The United States. We will hear music by Kenneth Kafui, Ignatious Sancho, Clarence Cameron White, Thomas J Martin, John Coltrane, Scott Joplin, and Herbie Hancock. Read more about BIPOC Rock!
Recent Recital Photographs
- Dec 2020 recital: Remotely Together
- Spring 2020 recital: First Virtual Recital
- Nov 2019 recital: Songs Spanning Four Centuries
- April 2019 recital: Planting Seeds
- Nov 2018 recitals: Love Songs and A Little Night Music
- April 2018 recital: Hand Over Heart
- Nov 2017 recital: My Favorite Things
- May 2017 recital: Recital of Gratitude
- Nov 2016 recital: Pop Music
- April 2016 recital: Folk Music Around The World
- Spring 2015 recital: Simple Gifts
- Spring 2014 Recital: Playing By Ear
- November 2013: Ballet, Polkas & Swing, Oh My!
- April 2013: Spring Recital with Susan Peck
- December 2012: Family & Neighbor Music
- February 2012: Leap Music -February 5, 2012
More recitals listed below.
Meg [Mary Ellen] is an awesome teacher! She is always positive and energetic and patient. When I struggle with a piece or exercise, she uses metaphors to help me understand. Taking lessons with Meg has made me a more determined person. Meg is always helpful and insightful. Whenever I need help or am struggling, she tells me of numerous ways to make the tone sound brilliant, or ways to understand and play the music correctly. I am very grateful to MegKaty Kimes
Active students perform twice a year in the Spring and Fall recitals. The Fall recital consists of performances of small ensembles; duos, trios, and the like. Playing groups are formed with other Grace Notes Studio students. You may also form an ensemble with family members or other individuals upon approval of Mary Ellen Grace. The Spring recital is your opportunity to perform a solo work, with or without piano accompaniment. Accompaniment may be piano, guitar, accordion or another chord-playing instrument. In most cases, the music will be chosen for you in accordance with your skill level. However, I am always open to student ideas for solo/ensemble music choice. These events are your chance to show your family and friends all that you have learned in the preceding months. I find great inspiration in watching my students of all ages expressing themselves musically. It is exciting to hear them become the talented musicians they dream of. Get some inspiration by clicking on any of the dates below. You can view photos, listen to recordings and in some cases view and listen to video recordings of past performances.
Perform at next recital
Would you like an opportunity to perform at the next student recital? Contact Mary Ellen Grace to arrange for lessons on clarinet or saxophone, or learn to improvise on any wind instrument.
- 2011 Spring: Spring in the Village – April 10, 2011
- 2010 Fall: Tribute To A Teacher – December 5, 2010
- 2010 Spring: Sonata Improv – April 25, 2010
- 2009 Fall: Serious Play
- 2009 Spring: Solo Commonalities
- 2008 Fall: Commonalities
- 2008 Spring: Scelta dell’Allievo
- 2007 Fall: The Romantics: Beethoven to Sibelius
- 2007 Spring: Bella A Cappella
- 2006 Fall: Students of Swing
- 2006 Spring: Name That Tune
- 2005 Fall: Well-Tempered Duets & Trios
- 2005 Spring: Mainly Mozart with a Bit of Bop
- 2004 Fall: Duets 2X2
- 2004 Spring: Solo Instrument with Piano Accompaniment
- 2003 Fall: Small Ensembles
- 2003 Spring: Solos